Followers

Friday, December 9, 2016

What is oddly satisfying?

Ok, let me accept it. I stole the title of this post from a video that I saw on Facebook which showed some ordinary satisfying things from which people derive satisfaction.

I mean, hell yeah, winning a million dollar lottery is exceptionally satisfying, but then for the lesser mortals like us, what is oddly satisfying?

Today, one such situation came up. I had earlier blogged that I am one of the person selected as an intern for Openstack under the Outreach program.

I had an old Dell machine on which I had Devstack installed and was submitting patches from that machine. It started puking errors when I ran ./stack.sh. That has been happening for the last three days. I tried everything available on the internet to sort out the problem. That did not work.

I recently bought a new machine, again, a Dell Inspiron 15, 3000 series machine, that I rebooted with Linux 16.04 operating system. Then I git cloned the Devstack and ran ./stack.sh. It was the same set of problems. So I did do one thing. I wrote to my mentors, Raildo Mascena, and Rodrigo Duarte Sousa from the Openstack group who suggested that I try running Devstack in virtual environments.

Virtual environments spewed up another set of errors.

Finally, it worked and I was able to get it up and running is not what happened.It is nowhere close to it.

While I tried to several things, I wrote up the errors in a word document using Libre on Ubuntu and then was about to post the question on Stackoverflow. Then suddenly, my machine hung. I had to reboot it.

When I restarted my machine, and fired up Firefox, the old session was restored. My worry was always there. Now, I had to think of the unthinkable, To even ask doubts to my mentors, and then post questions on mailing lists, and post it on  Stackoverflow, I would have to redo the efforts of the last three days.

Fortunately for me, when I opened up Firefox, my question on  Stackoverflow was saved, and the word document still had my documentation.

I dont know when I had hit the control save on both of them.

Now, that was oddly satisfying.

I know, people, life sometimes gives you lemons. I just had my lemonade.

I just googled up Youtube to see if there was any thing else that were oddly satisfying, found this.

No comments :

Post a Comment